Performing electrical maintenance in the cooler months is important to ensure the safety and reliability of your electrical systems. Here are some electrical maintenance tips for the winter season:
- Trim your trees that could potentially have branches come in contact with your electrical lines. Ice and snow can weigh down branches, causing them to snap.
- In case of a power outage, consider getting a whole house or portable generator installed.
- Be cautious with using space heaters because faulty wiring or damaged cords can cause a short circuit or become a fire hazard.
- Consider getting a surge protector installed on your panel to protect your appliances and devices from an electrical surge from a winter storm.
- Make sure outdoor outlets are covered so they are protected from rain and snow.
- Having extra exterior lighting such as floodlights, landscape lighting, and sconces can brighten up the exterior of your home and yard.
Always remember to reach out to a licensed electrician if you have any questions.